Since our social media presence is growing rapidly (our Facebook Group alone has over 500 members!), we’ve found it necessary to put into place a social media user agreement. We really do try not to be big meanies when it comes to dictating what goes on our Facebook Group; however, there have been times when we’ve had to step in and act for the betterment of the entire group. Our policy is also posted on our Facebook Group.
If you don’t want to read through all the legal mumbo jumbo below, just know that we ask members to treat everyone with respect, not post offensive comments, and not use the group for business purposes, fraudulent purposes, or solicitation (there, that’s not too scary is it?).
Acceptance of Terms of this Agreement through Use
The Islanders By Choice Alliance (hereinafter “IBCA”), maintains Facebook page(s), Twitter account(s), and websites currently located at http://www.peislanderbychoice.com, in addition to other electronic resources (collectively the “IBCA Social Media”) which collectively provide blogs, articles, publications, event information, registration, databases, sponsor information, contests and other materials (the “Content”). The IBCA Social Media is provided to you subject to your compliance with the terms and conditions of use defined in this Agreement. By accessing or using the IBCA Social Media you agree to be bound by this Agreement. If you do not agree to be bound by this Agreement, please do not access or use the IBCA Social Media.
The IBCA Social Media is not intended for use by minors, especially those under age 13. To access, use or register with the IBCA Social Media, minors must get prior permission of their parent(s) and/or legal guardian(s). By your use of the IBCA Social Media, you represent and warrant that you are the age of majority or have sought permission from your parent(s) and/or legal guardian(s).
1. You undertake to provide true, accurate, current, and complete information.
2. You may not use the IBCA Social Media:
(a) For the purposes of fraud or for any activity that contravenes the laws of Canada or any other applicable jurisdiction.
(b) To engage in activities that cause or are likely to cause disruption or denial of service to any user of the IBCA Social Media.
(c) To impersonate any other person.
(d) To upload, post, e-mail or otherwise transmit:
(i) Any content that is offensive, obscene, unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, hateful, invasive of another’s privacy or otherwise objectionable;
(ii) Material which is designed to cause annoyance, inconvenience, or needless anxiety to others;
(iii) Infringes the patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary right of any other party;
(iv) Any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising or commercial material, “junk mail”, “spam”, “chain letter”, “pyramid scheme”, promotions, advertisements, or any other form of solicitation for products or services, other than those approved by the IBCA;
(v) Any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, file or program designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or telecommunications equipment.
3. The name and logo of the IBCA cannot be used without prior approval from the IBCA.
4. Any individual, group, business, or organization that wishes to host an IBCA Event must review and adhere to the IBCA Events Policy, and complete an IBCA Event Application to be submitted in writing to the IBCA Events Committee. Until the Event has been approved, no public announcements can be made, and the Event may not be promoted in any way.
Disclaimer of Warranties
1. You expressly understand and agree that:
(a) Your use of the IBCA Social Media is at your sole risk.
(b) The IBCA Social Media and the materials provided on the IBCA Social Media are provided “as is” and “as available” without representations, warranties or conditions of any kind, either express or implied.
(c) Any material downloaded, printed or otherwise obtained through the use of the IBCA Social Media is done at your sole discretion and risk and you will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or loss of data that results from the downloading, printing or use of any such material.
(d) No advice or information whether oral or written, obtained by you from the IBCA Social Media will create a warranty, entitlement or right owed to you.
(e) You will not use any automated device or process, such as a “bot” or a “spider,” to copy or extract information or content from the IBCA Social Media.
2. The IBCA has made reasonable efforts to ensure that the materials contained on the IBCA Social Media are accurate. The IBCA does not warrant or guarantee:
(a) The accuracy, currency or completeness of the materials;
(b) That the IBCA Social Media will be available without interruption, error or omission;
(c) That defects will be corrected; or
(d) That the IBCA Social Media, services and the server(s) that make it available are free from viruses or other harmful components.
Limitation of Liability and Indemnification
1. In no event will the IBCA, its respective directors, agents, employees or volunteers be liable for any loss, cost or damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for harm to business, loss of profits, programs or data, interruption of activities or any other pecuniary or economic loss) whether direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special, exemplary, consequential or otherwise arising out of any use or misuse of, or any defects, inaccuracies, errors or omissions in or on the IBCA Social Media without regard to the form of action.
Third Party Websites / Linking
Access by way of links to other websites is provided by the IBCA Social Media for convenience. The IBCA does not control the content of such websites and your use of any linked websites is at your own risk.
By choosing to access the IBCA Social Media from any location other than Canada, you accept full responsibility for compliance with all local laws that are applicable. The IBCA makes no representation that materials on the IBCA Social Media are appropriate or available for use in locations outside Canada, and accessing them from territories where their contents are illegal is prohibited. You may not use, export or re-export any materials from the IBCA Social Media in violation of any applicable laws or regulations, including, but not limited to, any Canadian export laws and regulations.
Intellectual Property Rights
1. The information, content, graphics, text, sounds, images, buttons, trademarks, service marks, trade names and logos contained on the IBCA Social Media are protected by copyright, trademark, database right and other intellectual property laws.
2. You are granted a limited license solely for your own personal, non-commercial use to refer to, bookmark, or point to any page within the IBCA Social Media, and to download the materials contained on the IBCA Social Media to a single personal computer and print a single hard copy of the materials contained on the IBCA Social Media for your own personal reference, provided however that all copyright, trade mark and other propriety notices are left intact. The grant of this limited license is conditional on your agreement to, and compliance with, all of the terms of this Agreement. Any other use of the materials on the IBCA Social Media, including any form of copying or reproduction, (for any purposes other than those noted above) modification, distribution, re-publication, extraction, re-utilization, incorporation, or integration with other materials or works or re-delivery without the prior written permission of the IBCA , is strictly prohibited and is a violation of the proprietary rights of the IBCA or its affiliates.
Modifications/Termination to this Agreement and Services
1. The IBCA reserves the right to change this Agreement at any time and your continued access to or use of the IBCA Social Media after such changes indicates your acceptance of this Agreement as modified. It is your responsibility to review this Agreement regularly.
2. The IBCA reserves the right to modify, suspend or discontinue the IBCA Social Media, or any portion thereof with or without notice to you. The IBCA will not be liable to you or any third party should it exercise its right to modify, suspend or discontinue services.
Privacy and Protection of Personal Information
1. The IBCA respects your right to privacy. By agreeing to the terms of this Agreement, you may be providing the IBCA with your personal information. This information will be used by the IBCA for the purpose for which it was provided by you, for verification purposes, draws, contents, transactions, communications, registration and statistical analysis. This information may also be useful to provide you with details of products, services, contests, draws, competitions, training or promotions being provided or run by the IBCA or any other of its associated organizations or any third party which the IBCA may select and which the IBCA may think may be of interest to you, unless you have otherwise specifically opted not to receive this information.
2. The IBCA acknowledges that they are governed by the Personal Information and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) and will comply with such legislation.
The IBCA Social Media is established and operated in accordance with the laws of Canada and this Agreement will be interpreted in accordance with the laws of the province in which the IBCA is incorporated. Unless waived by the IBCA in a particular instance, you hereby consent and submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the province of IBCA incorporation in any action or proceeding related to this IBCA Social Media and agree not to commence any such action or proceeding except in the aforementioned province of Canada.
1. This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between you and the IBCA and governs your use of the IBCA Social Media.
2. Your continued use of the IBCA Social Media constitutes affirmative acknowledgement by you of the terms and conditions of the Agreement, including without limitation, any modifications or changes thereto.
3. If any portion of this Agreement is deemed by any court of competent jurisdiction to be illegal or unenforceable, then the remaining provisions of this Agreement will remain in full force and effect notwithstanding.
Last updated: March 7, 2011